Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Celebrate A Relationship in Your Life

Celebrate a realtionship in your life.... I've many relationships that deserve celebrating.... my husband, my sons, my best friends... but today I'm going to write about a group of five women who have come to mean the world to me, the women in my Moms-In-Touch group. Moms-In-Touch is an international orginization made up of small groups of women who meet weekly to pray for their children and their children's schools. When my oldest son was in second grade (so many years ago), Pam asked me if I'd like to come and pray with her for our son's and their teacher. I said "I'd love to but..... " which could just have easily been translated as "no". Pam continued to ask me gently, kindly each year the boys were in elementary school and each year I had a different version of "I'd love to but... "

As our boys graduated from the elementary school and moved on to the middle school, Pam asked me once again if I wouldn't like to come to a brunch for Moms-In-Touch at her house, no commitment she said... just brunch and meet the other moms in the area who are involved in Moms-In-Touch. For some reason I said ok.... and when brunch was over and she began to talk about Moms-In-Touch I listened. Then she said they needed a "host" home and I found myself saying I'd be happy to have the group at my house. So, the next week three other moms and I met and prayed for our boys... we all had brand new middle schoolers and I'm now going on my fifth year of praying with these women... we've added a mom or two over the years and a mom or two has left. But the same core group that began praying together as mom's of sixth graders is still here. We are all from very different backgrounds, all very different type moms. Two are catholic, one is evangelical, one methodist, one church of Christ and then there's me... I no longer attend a church having been in two extremely dysfunctional ones in the past ten years yet they don't care. We have one thing in common and it's enough, faith. Faith in the power of prayer.

One of these women has become my "girlfriend". We do things together, our boys are friends. The others aren't really "friends" in that same sense. They are more like sisters. We're quite different but we are close in a way you can only be when you have prayed for, cried for, rejoiced for someone's child with them. I share the ups and downs of life with kids with these women and they with me. We have prayed for the little things in our kids life, like grades and making the sports teams. We've prayerd for the big things like a child caught smoking pot. We've had serious illnesses to pray over, a divorce, the death of a parent and friend. God's shown me with these women the power of his spirit to transcend our differences, to unite through his love.

3 comments:

Meg said...

What an amazing group of women you are! I love that you are of all different faiths, that is powerful.

Thank you for joining us today! I hope you continue so we can get to know you better!

loonyhiker said...

Wow! What an awesome group to belong to. I think it is great that people who can be so different can come together over something in common: their children. Thanks for sharing!

carin.c said...

Sounds really very wonderful... :)